11 April 2009

He has Risen Indeed!


I wanted to wish you a happy Easter, truly the best Christian holiday there is. When I first became a Christian in 1997 I kept wearing my crucifix (I had grown up Catholic). Then I started noticing that none of my Christian friends wore crucifixes, just crosses. Later I realized that the Christian really believes, internalizes, that Christ rose from the dead! The cross is empty! He hangs there no longer! He is Risen! He has conquered the grave!

Do you know why God sent his Son to die a criminal's death on the cross? To carry the sin of the world... your sin and my sin. I used to think, I'm not a bad person, I never killed anybody. But we can't compare ourselves to each other, we have to compare ourselves to Christ; the only man to live a sinless life and die on behalf of our sins.

A friend many years ago said it like this "When we get to heaven we will see all the things we have ever done or not done. We will be quaking before the just and holy God, creator of all things, and he will say in a voice like thunder, "how will you pay for this debt?" and from the side, Christ will walk in, with his hands and feet and side pierced on our behalf, and he will say "I have paid this debt on her behalf." God's countenance will change and he will no longer see our sin, we will have been covered, camouflaged by the blood of Christ. And that is his mercy and his grace to us who have believed.

If you do not feel secure in your salvation, check out this link. I hope that you don't wait till it is too late-- but being saved is not just 'fire insurance.' Once you are a believer, you are given the power of the Holy Spirit to help you-- help you overcome an addiction, a lifestyle, a bad habit-- He helps you become a better parent and spouse, the Holy Spirit makes you more into the image of Christ who saved you. Sometimes this life is pretty tough and miserable-- having a supernatural power strengthening you is a lifesaver, literally. Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment