18 May 2009

The Joneses


This is a photo of the Maxwell Family. They homeschool and sell books about homeschooling, parenting, and organization. They have a large family, they run a successful home-based business, they play gospel music at the local nursing home, the girls all have long hair and wear dresses all the time, the boys all are on their way to owning their homes (for real, no mortgage)... Most of the time when I am wandering the homeschool blogosphere, I see families similar to this. They seem to have the perfect family- all smiling. Always quick to confess sin and repent. Respectful to each other. Quick to learn. Choosing the right path, all the time. It may be attributed to the fact that alot of these families have older kids, but... then there's the Duggars. 18 kids at the moment, debt free, all smiling into the camera. I can't get my four to look at the camera at the same time, much less smile at it! Examples like these are tough to look at when compared to my own imperfect, young, acting-out family. Well I am here to say: they are not us! We struggle. We sin- and then fight to acknowledge that we did, and force ourselves to try harder. We don't match. My kids ask repeatedly for candy in the checkout aisle. They cry at the drop of a hat. They miss their nap. They kick and yell. They resist bedtime. They splash water on the floor. Maybe, one far-off day in the future, we will wear denim and khaki and smile in unison and encourage one another to holiness--- but today, we're trying to get through. Through the house that is covered in blanket forts. Through the built-up pile of laundry. Through the jar of peanut butter no one prefers. So enjoy our imperfection as we travel down this road called homeschooling young ones.


5 comments:

  1. this is called living life. The best part is you like it this way. They are so lucky to have you. I knew you were special the first time I met you. lots of love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for articulating this for me. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,
    I am a potential homeschooler spending my afternoon browsing the web for information and inspiration. Thank you for explaining this cultural phenomenon for me. I have had this stereotypical picture in my mind and it has hindered my process a bit. You see, I would not aspire to be such a conformed (?) family unit. I envision more fluidity, creativity, individuality and mess. Everything you articulated put me at ease and I will definitely bookmark this blogspot for future reading. Your ideas are smart, concise and down to earth. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie I am flattered beyond all belief. Thanks for your encouraging words!! Glad to have you as a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a great post! You wrote this 16 months ago and it is meeting me right where I'm at! I'm catching up on some of your older posts....enjoying a quiet Saturday night. Thank you

    ReplyDelete