19 April 2010

Evolving...


Sold my school desk and chair sets on Craigslist this week. It shows how our schools can morph from one form to another! When I started homeschooling I was excited to buy the desks of my youth for my kids. They quickly became school-related clutter holders. My daughter watched the High School Musical movies (Go Wildcats!) and began sitting at her desk and raising her hand when she had a question. I, of course, had no intention of walking around the room checking people's work! When it became evident that our clipboards were getting much more of a workout than our schooldesks, I decided to move on.

We should embrace whatever works for our kids as they get older and not cling to only what has worked in the past. I joked to Brenda, the woman who bought the sets, that in two years when she was a "veteran" homeschooler, she may morph from "school at home" to a more casual style, like I did.

I'm so pleased you are reading Higher Education!
Click on the post title to leave a comment.
Teresa (Tracy) Dear



2 comments:

  1. I'm new to homeschooling and I love reading about other's experiences. I'm so glad you mentioned clipboards. I've been thinking we'd be stuck around the kitchen table. I don't even know where I would put desks. :)
    Thanks for sharing
    Meridith
    My Children's Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. kcdennis@ blogspot.comMay 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM

    Isn't it funny how we grow and change in our homeschooling journey? I tell people that every year, my thoughts and methods and philosophy on homeschooling changes just a little bit. I think I'm getting more relaxed in some ways...but one thing's for sure: God is using this experience of teaching/loving/mothering 24/7 to sanctify and grow me up!

    ReplyDelete