04 May 2010

Physics


Physics Experiments for Children came in the mail the other day... pleasantly surprised when I looked through the table of contents. It's organized by topic:
  1. air
  2. water
  3. energy and machines
  4. heat
  5. sound
  6. light
  7. magnetism and electricity
It would be easy to do a unit on each one, or try to hit all of them by doing the first experiment in each group, and then the second, etc.

Physics has been a little intimidating to many because they didn't master it themselves in school. I have been looking forward to it so that I can master the principles- I figure a fourth grade level physics will be ok! However I have been quite intimidated by the figures I come up with when I try to budget for all the gear I want to get. That's right, want. I know it's done every day with way less, but that's the rub with homeschooling- you get to look at all those gorgeous glossy catalogs.

If, like me, you're coming from a "schooled" past yourself, you can easily remember the gear and equipment you used when you were young. Of course we want the best for our kids, and we can become distracted by all that we want to give them. A one-on-one ratio is better than equipment any day! Wants vs needs and all that.

Here's my wish list of wants.
Many homeschoolers enjoy Janice VanCleave's Physics for Every Kid: 101 Easy Experiments in Motion, Heat, Light, Machines, and Sound also. The one I rec'd above is recommended by SWB in WTM because it has all the topics in one book and uses generally available household items.

However, if you want to get your salivary glands pumping (but that's biology, I guess) you can click here to get Delta's (free) Science and Math catalog.


I'm so pleased you are reading Higher Education!
Click on the post title to leave a comment.Teresa (Tracy) Dear

No comments:

Post a Comment