14 June 2010

Charlotte Mason Companion


I was reading A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learningtoday... I am about 50 pages into it, and I cannot put it down! It is written by a woman who just LOVES Charlotte Mason and her method- she just sings the praises of Charlotte Mason and her way of treating kids. Every time I read about CM it makes me aspire to greatness in my parenting and educating. The author shows a real fondness for CM- she even commissioned an artist to create the cover so that readers can enjoy a young and colorful CM, instead of the more prevalent charcoal drawings of an older woman. That's love!

Rather than tell you the chapter headings and try to reword things so that you can get an idea of how cool it is, I'm just going to give you a few quotes from the author, Karen Andreola, that I've enjoyed most thus far.

"Home is the place to learn about God. The Amish learn the three "R's" in their one-room schoolhouses. At home they have a different set of three "R's" --religion, respect, and responsibility."

"I agree with Queen Victoria's assertion that "'The greatest maxim of all is that children should be brought up as simply and in as domestic a way as possible, and that (not interfering with their lessons) they should be as much as possible with their parents, and learn to place the greatest confidence in them in all things.""

"When a child shows interest that he wants to know more about something, that is one sign that he is forming a relation with it. He cares about it. Compare this with the familiar question, "Do we have to know this for the test?""

"Charlotte urges us to establish a relationship with knowledge. A relationship with knowledge is like a friendship. When you are introduced to someone, you are courteous and friendly, but you don't have a meaningful relationship. To establish one often requires patience and perseverance. Unfortunately, many lessons- such as those in many textbooks- are only
introductory. "It is nice to meet you," we say, nodding to Knowledge."

"Our knitting the net of (school) subjects makes a sort of hammock; though it has holes, it will uplift and support its owner. While we knit, the children fill in the holes. By means of self-education they acquire genuine, long-lasting knowledge... It should not be "How much has our child covered?" but "How much does he care?" and "About how many things does he care?""

Hope these books (below) are helpful in getting your own CM collection started- I own the ones by Schaeffer and Sockey, myself, and think they are great!



I'm so pleased you are reading Higher Education! Click on the post title to leave a comment.Teresa (Tracy) Dear

2 comments:

  1. I love this book too. A couple of years ago I checked it out from the library to read and enjoyed it very much. About a month ago I went to a used book sale and found a copy for $4.00 and have started reading it again. We have been teaching with CM methods for almost four years, but each time I pick up the book I learn something new from it. Glad you are back posting, missed reading your entries.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quit because I never got any feedback, and I figured that no comments meant no one was finding anything useful. Thanks for telling me you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete