13 February 2011

Microscopic Dreams!


EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Guess what!!

I've waited five grueling long years as my oldest has trekked up the grades until now she has neared fifth grade. So it was time- glorious time- to purchase... to get.... finally... the microscope!! Eee!

We got a good microscope that should last us all the way through high school biology. It has 4x, 10x, 40x, and 100x objectives and an LED light. I also got:



which I am really excited about getting into and reviewing for y'all. I also got a microslide viewer which is similar to a viewfinder toy, except has the look and shape of a microscope. You buy long slides with 6 images- photos of professional slides, usually in a theme. The one I got was basic histology for the human body- pretty much an example on the cellular level of each body organ. I'm hoping that the microslide viewer, at only $10.50, is a suitable distraction for the two little kids while we use the real one. The perk of this set is that the slides can be seen on the regular microscope.
In addition, there are nearly 50 slides to choose from, at about $8 each. I purchased 3 sets of "real" slides from Delta Science and Education. Here's a LINK to their list of slides. I got the shapes of bacteria set, the invertebrates, and the protists. Also from them I ordered "plastic depression slides." We live near a pond! So excited!

List of Rainbow Resource's microscope choices.

Here's a really helpful chart describing the differences between the microscopes Rainbow Resource sells.

(FYI, I don't get anything when you shop at Rainbow Resource. However, I love them alot and write about them with some frequency. Click HERE to read about how I wrote reviews and won cold hard Rainbow Resource cash in return, for 8 months in a row!!)

A friend of mine was so jealous/excited about my purchase that I bartered babysitting for it's use! Since her daughter was studying the Protista and Monera Kingdoms (is that the right grammar?) the slides I bought cinched the deal!

I'm so pleased you are reading Higher Education! Click on the post title to leave a comment. Teresa (Tracy) Dear

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these microscope are too classic. i am amazed by the technology.. thanks for the information that you have shared. it was worth reading dear :)

    ReplyDelete